Happy summer vacation! Get your kids ages 5 to 18, reading with book recommendations from these up-to-date summer reading lists for kids. They’re at every grade level from elementary to middle school to high school!!
Reading, lots and lots of reading, is the only way to keep kids growing as readers. But kids need lots of good books. That’s why I’ve made these book lists.
You’ll find both familiar and newly published favorites as well as a variety of genres and subjects from which to choose. Not only that, many of these recommendations are books in series. (Because book series are the best!)
Summer Reading Lists for Kids
Tips to Make Summer Reading Happen
1. CHOICE: Let your kids choose the books that they read.
2. BOUNTY: Fill your house with lots of books. More books = more chances for your children to find a fantastic, amazing, very good book that they can’t put down.
3. LIBRARY: Use your library. Let your kids go WILD and check out lots of books!
4. TIME: Kids need opportunities for reading. So, make sure they’re not filling all their time with TV, video games, and iPad time.
6. READABILITY: Make sure your child is reading books that he or she can actually comprehend. When choosing a book, use the 5 finger test to decide if it’s a just right book. During and after reading, ask your child to tell you a little bit about the story. If you haven’t read the story, read the back and ask questions pertaining to that summary. Make sure your child is understanding what he reads — and that he KNOWS IF HE DOESN’T. For more clarity about reading comprehension, visit this post.
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!