These are favorite books for beginning readers from the easiest books with a few words per page to beginning chapter books with a sentence per page. (For my kids, this was first grade but for some kids it’s earlier.) You can find harder books on my summer reading list for second graders and more 5- and 6- year old book recommendations here.
Keep your kids reading lots and lots of books this summer vacation!
Remember to figure out those hard to read words with word attack strategies beyond the typical (and often useless) “sound it out.” Try these word attack strategies & download the free printable bookmark.
Download this printable list to use at your school or library.
(P.S. This list is updated for 2018!)
1st Grade Books: Summer Reading List (Ages 6 – 7)
IF your child loves a book, get more books by the same author or in the same series. Keep them reading as much as you can! And, if you need more ideas, you can always email me.
First Grade Beginning Readers – EASY
This list of beginning readers are books with only a few words per page, perfect for kids who are entering first grade and just beginning to read. (Sight words are really important at this stage – download free printable sight word cards.)
If you’re looking for silly books, read:
- My Toothbrush is Missing by Jan Thomas
- What is Chasing Duck? by Jan Thomas
- We Are in a Book by Mo Willems (all Elephant and Piggie books are fantastic!)
- The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow by Andy Griffiths
If you like stories about real life and friendship, try:
- Who Is That, Cat the Cat? by Mo Willems
- We Are Growing by Laurie Keller
- Big Cat by Ethan Long
- The Cookie Fiasco by Dan Santat
- Baby Monkey, Private Eye by Brian Selznick and David Serlin, illustrated by Brian Selznick
- Lazy Bear, Crazy Bear by Kevin Bolger
- Trucktown by Jon Scieszka
If you like animal stories, try reading:
Find MORE easy readers with reviews HERE.
First Grade Easiest Chapter Books
Easy chapter books have pictures with words. The easiest chapter books have just a few sentences per page. Try these favorites…
(If you want to read my reviews of each of these books, go here.)
- Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold – SILLY
- Aggie the Brave by Lori Ries – FRIENDSHIP
- Mr. Putter and Tabby Walk the Dog by Cynthia Rylant – FRIENDSHIP
- Pinch and Dash Make Soup by Michael J. Daley – FRIENDSHIP
- Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel – FRIENDSHIP
- Penny and Her Marble by Kevin Henkes – REALISTIC
- Bink & Gollie Best Friends Forever by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee – FRIENDSHIP
- Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea by Ben Clanton – FRIENDSHIP / HUMOR
First Grade Easy Chapter Books for Summer Reading
Easy chapter books have bigger text with pictures every few pages. These books listed range from middle of first grade to beginning of second grade reading levels.
If you like funny books, read:
- Monkey Me by Timothy Roland
- Kung Pow Chicken by Cindi Marko
- The Bad Guys by Aaron Blabey
- Moldylocks and the Three Beards by Noah Z. Jones
If you like realistic books, read:
- Dory Fantasmagory by Abby Hanlon
- Benny and Penny in Just Pretend by Geoffrey Hayes (graphic novel)
- Nate the Great by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat
- A New Friend for Sophie Mouse by Poppy Green, illustrated by Jennifer A. Bell
- Owl Diaries by Rebecca Elliott
- The Party and Other Stories (Fox and Chick) by Sergio Ruzzier
If you like adventure and fantasy books, try:
- The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale (More books like Princess in Black)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot #1 by Dav Pilkey
- Notebook of Doom #1 by Troy Cummings
- Rise of the Earth Dragon #1 by Tracey West
- Haggis & Tank: All Paws on Deck by Jessica Young
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!