These are favorite books for beginning readers from the easiest books with a few words per page to beginning chapter books with a sentence per page. (For my kids, this was first grade but for some kids, it’s earlier.) You can find harder books on my summer reading list for second graders and more 5- and 6- year old book recommendations here.
Keep your kids reading lots and lots of books this summer vacation!
Remember to figure out those hard to read words with word attack strategies beyond the typical (and often useless) “sound it out.” Try these word attack strategies & download the free printable bookmark.
1st Grade Books: Summer Reading List (Ages 6 – 7)
If your 1st grade child loves a book, get more books by the same author or in the same series. Keep them reading as much as you can! And, if you need more ideas, you can always email me.
First Grade Beginning Readers (EASY)
This list of beginning readers are books with only a few words per page, perfect for kids who are entering first grade and just beginning to read. (Sight words are really important at this stage – download free printable sight word cards.)
If your 1st grader is looking for silly books, read:
- My Toothbrush is Missing by Jan Thomas
- What is Chasing Duck? by Jan Thomas
- We Are in a Book by Mo Willems (all Elephant and Piggie books are fantastic!)
- The Big Fat Cow That Goes Kapow by Andy Griffiths
If your 1st grade child likes stories about real life and friendship, try:
- Who Is That, Cat the Cat? by Mo Willems
- We Are Growing by Laurie Keller
- Big Cat by Ethan Long
- The Cookie Fiasco by Dan Santat
- Baby Monkey, Private Eye by Brian Selznick and David Serlin, illustrated by Brian Selznick
- Lazy Bear, Crazy Bear by Kevin Bolger
- Trucktown by Jon Scieszka
If your 1st grader likes animal stories, try reading:
Find MORE easy readers with reviews for first grade age children readers HERE.
First Grade Easiest Chapter Books
Easy chapter books have pictures with words. The easiest chapter books have just a few sentences per page. Try these favorites…
(If you want to read my reviews of each of these books, go here.)
- Fly Guy by Tedd Arnold – FUNNY
- Unlimited Squirrels in I Lost My Tooth! by Mo Willems – FUNNY
- Aggie the Brave by Lori Ries – FRIENDSHIP
- Caterpillar to Butterfly by Laura Marsh – NONFICTION
- Mr. Putter and Tabby Walk the Dog by Cynthia Rylant – FRIENDSHIP
- Frog and Toad Are Friends by Arnold Lobel – FRIENDSHIP
- Penny and Her Marble by Kevin Henkes – REALISTIC
- Narwhal: Unicorn of the Sea by Ben Clanton – FRIENDSHIP
First Grade Easy Chapter Books for Summer Reading
Easy chapter books have bigger text with pictures every few pages. These books listed range from middle of first grade to beginning of second-grade reading levels.
If your 1st grade children like funny books, try:
- Monkey Me by Timothy Roland
- Kung Pow Chicken by Cindi Marko
- Moldylocks and the Three Beards by Noah Z. Jones
- Meet Mo and Jo: The Boulder Brothers by Sarah Lynn
- The Infamous Ratsos by Kara Lareau
If your 1st grade kids like realistic books, read:
- Bink & Gollie Best Friends Forever by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee\
- Meet Yasmin! by Saadia Faruqui
- Sofia Martinez My Vida Loca by Jacquline Jules
- A New Friend for Sophie Mouse by Poppy Green
- Owl Diaries by Rebecca Elliott
- The Party and Other Stories (Fox and Chick) by Sergio Ruzzier
If your 1st graders like adventure, mystery, & fantasy books, try:
- The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale and Dean Hale (find more books like Princess in Black)
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot #1 by Dav Pilkey
- Notebook of Doom #1 by Troy Cummings
- Rise of the Earth Dragon #1 by Tracey West
- Haggis & Tank: All Paws on Deck by Jessica Young
- Dig to Disaster: A Miss Mallard Mystery by Robert Quackenbush
Download my free "Can't Put 'Em Down Books for Kids" e-book for ages 2 - 18.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!