Summer reading lists & summer reading programs . . . Yes, it’s that time of year again — summer vacation! If you’re looking good books for kids going into the second grade, these books will keep your 2nd grader reading throughout the summer, developing and practicing their reading skills with excellent books.
As you know, the more a child reads, the more vocabulary they’ll learn and the better their comprehension skills. (With the exception of a learning difference situation.)
So whether or not you do a summer reading program, or just read on your own, you’ll find great summer reads on this list. From funny to fantasy, there’s a book (or five) for every interest.
These books will work for children ages 7 or 8 who are entering second grade. For all my book recommendations with reviews, visit: Best Books for 7-Year Olds.
Do you know how to tell if a book is just right? Do the 5 Finger Test. **Starred books indicate a harder reading level.**
If you specifically need harder-than-2nd-grade books, go to my 3rd grade summer reading list. If you need easier books, go to my 1st grade summer reading list. Remember it’s good for kids to read books that are JUST RIGHT but there are benefits in reading easy books and reading challenging books, too.
Download the FREE Summer Reading Packet so your kids can set goals and keep track of what they’ve read.
Second Grade Summer Reading List (age 7 – 8)
If you like funny books, you’ll love:
- The Bad Guys #1 by Aaron Blabey
- The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken by Doreen Cronin
- Bad Kitty by Nick Bruel**
- Bird and Squirrel on Ice by James Burks
- Stinkbomb and Ketchup-Face and the Badness of Badgers by John Dougherty
- Mercy Watson by Kate DiCamillo
If you like mythical (and paranormal) creatures, you’ll love:
- Dragons and Marshmallows: Zoey and Sassafras by Asia Citro
- Rise of the Earth Dragon by Tracey. West
- The Last Firehawk: The Ember Stone by Katrina Charman
- Magical Animal Adoption Agency by Kallie George
- My Big Fat Zombie Goldfish by Mo O’Hara**
- Dragon Slayer’s Academy by Kate McMullan
If you like adventure stories, you’ll love:
- Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
- Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne
- Galaxy Zack by Ray O’Ryan
- The Notebook of Doom by Troy Cummings
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot by Dav Pilkey
- Rescue on the Oregon Trail by Kate Messner
If you like mysteries, you’ll love:
- The Haunted Library by Dori Hillestad Butler
- The Whodunit Detective Agency by Martin Widmark
- A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy
- Guinea Pig, Pet Shop Private Eye by Colleen AF Venable**
- The Big Bad Detective Agency by Bruce Hale
If you love realistic stories, you’ll like:
- Amelia Bedelia Means Business by Herman Parish
- Pug Pals: Two’s a Crowd by Flora Ahn
- Stink by Megan McDonald
- Ivy and Bean by Annie Barrows
- Lulu and the Rabbit Next Door by Hilary McKay
- Daisy Dawson is On Her Way by Steve Voake
- Lola Levine Is Not Mean by Monica Brown**
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!