Hooray! It’s time for summer reading lists & summer reading programs.If you’re looking good books for kids going into the second grade, these books will keep your 2nd grader reading throughout the summer, developing and practicing their reading skills with excellent books.
As you know, the more a child reads, the more vocabulary they’ll learn and the better their comprehension skills. (With the exception of a learning difference situation.)
So whether or not you do a summer reading program, or just read on your own, you’ll find great summer reads on this list. From funny to fantasy, there’s a book (or five) for every interest.
These books will work for children ages 7 or 8 who are entering second grade. For all my book recommendations with reviews, visit Best Books for 7-Year Olds.
Do you know how to tell if a book is just right? Do the 5 Finger Test.
If you specifically need harder-than-2nd-grade books, go to my 3rd grade summer reading list. If you need easier books, go to my 1st grade summer reading list. Remember it’s good for kids to read books that are JUST RIGHT but there are benefits in reading easy books and reading challenging books, too.
Download the FREE Summer Reading Packet so your kids can set goals and keep track of what they’ve read.
Second Grade Summer Reading List (age 7 – 8)
If your reader loves GRAPHIC NOVELS, try these choices:
- Cat Kid Comic Club by Dav Pilkey
- Bird and Squirrel on Ice by James Burks
- Mr. Wolf’s Class: Mystery Club by Aron Nels Steinke
- Cat Ninja by Matthew Cody
- King of the Birds by Elise Gravel
- Guinea Pig, Pet Shop Private Eye by Colleen AF Venable
If your second-grade reader like FUNNY books, they’ll love:
- The Dragonsitter by Josh Lacey
- Stick Dog by Tom Watson
- The Case of the Weird Blue Chicken by Doreen Cronin
- Real Pigeons Fight Crime by Ben Wood
- Rabbit & Bear: Rabbit’s Bad Habits by Julian Gough & Jim Field
If your 2nd-grade child likes MAGIC & MYTHICAL CREATURES, they’ll love:
- Dragons and Marshmallows: Zoey and Sassafras by Asia Citro
- Diary of an Ice Princess: Snow Place Like Home by Christina Soontornvat
- Rise of the Earth Dragon by Tracey West
- Magical Animal Adoption Agency by Kallie George
- The Fabled Stables Willa the Wisp by Jonathan Auxier
- Unicorn Academy: Sophia and Rainbow by Julie Skyes
If your 2nd grader likes ADVENTURE stories, they’ll love:
- Magic Tree House by Mary Pope Osborne
- Galaxy Zack by Ray O’Ryan
- The Notebook of Doom by Troy Cummings
- Ricky Ricotta’s Mighty Robot by Dav Pilkey
- Ivy Lost and Found by Cynthia Lord
- Mia Mayhem Is a Superhero! by Kara West
If your 2nd grade reader like MYSTERIES, they’ll love:
- Magic Tree House The Graphic Novel Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne
- Super Detectives Simon and Chester by Cale Atkinson
- A to Z Mysteries by Ron Roy
- Secret Spy Society The Case of the Missing Cheetah by Veronica Mang
- Mac Undercover (Kid Spy #1) by Mac Barnett
- Crime Biters: My Dog Is Better Than Your Dog by Tommy Greenwald
If your 2nd grader loves REALISTIC stories, try:
- Good Dog by Cam Higgins
- Too Small Tola by Atinuke
- Dory Fantasmagory by Abby Hanlon
- Baloney and Friends Going Up! by Greg Pizzoli
- Bark Park by Brandi Dougherty
- The Amazing Life of Azaleah Lane by Nikki Shannon Smith
- Planet Omar by Zanib Mian
If your second grader likes NONFICTION, read
- Go Wild! Sea Turtles by Jill Esbaum
- Fox Explores the Night by Martin Jenkins
- What Do They Do With All That Poo? by Jane Kurtz
- Plants Fight Back by Lisa J. Amstutz
- The Rat by Elise Gravel
- BUGS! by James Buckley, Jr.
- Planets by Elizabeth Carney