Get ready for summer with amazing 4th grade books to read all summer long! This reading list will give you and your young readers plenty of chapter book and middle grade book choices from which to pick; the best books to hook your soon-to-be 4th graders on reading.
Because you and I both want 4th grade kids to READ this summer. Don’t we?
Why? Well, by the time your child is in 4th grade, he or she must read at least 20 minutes daily. Did you know that summer learning loss will affect a child’s reading comprehension if you skip reading over the summer?
Look through this fourth-grade reading book list to find the best middle grade books for young readers’ summer vacation. Notice that I’ve divided the recommendations into genres so you can pick something from each list or your favorite genres.
As a former teacher, parent, and book reviewer, you can trust that I’ve read all these books and am personally recommending them to you.
I know these are all good books that will keep your children reading, learning, and loving stories.
Also, don’t you love the win-win situation if you get your kids hooked on a series!? Once they get hooked on one book, there’s more to read. That’s why I’ve indicated which books are in a series on the 4th grade book list below. (Hint: Most of them!)
Do you want to know if a book is at your child’s reading level? Try the five finger test. Since these books are for sale on Amazon, you can get a short preview of the book before you buy it. Ask your child to read one random full page of text. If they miss between 1 – 5 words, the book is JUST RIGHT, meaning it’s at her comprehension level. 0 is too easy, which is fine, but not always. Over five words missed means the book is too challenging. (For now!)
That being said, any books that are too challenging make perfect read aloud books. Or, read them on audiobook!
Don’t worry if this reading list isn’t right for you…if you have advanced readers, try the 5th grade summer reading list. But, if you have readers who need a bit easier books, try the 3rd grade summer reading list.
Summer reading programs can be great motivation for your fourth graders, too. I love programs that give free books as a reward, don’t you?
- ALL book recommendations for 4th graders (plus reviews)
- 3rd grade summer reading list
- 5th grade summer reading list
- All summer reading lists by grade
- Best activity books for home or travel
- Book clubs
4th Grade Books to Read: Summer Reading List
Download the free printable of this summer reading list. NOTE: If you don’t see the printable sign-up below, please clear your cache and try again.
4th Grade Books to Read: FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
- Dragon with a Chocolate Heart by Stephanie Burgis
- Royal Guide to Monster Slaying by Kelley Armstrong
- Mellybean and the Giant Monster by Mike White
- Chupacarter by Geroge Lopez and Ryan Calejo
- The Land of Stories (series) by Chris Colfer
- Legends of Lotus Island: The Guardian Test by Christina Soontornvat
- Trapped in a Video Game by Dustin Brady
- Your Pal Fred by Michael Rex
- Pacey Packer Unicorn Tracker by J.C. Phillipps
4th Grade Summer Reading: ADVENTURE & MYSTERY
- Ninja Kid: From Nerd to Ninja by Anh Do
- I Survived series by Lauren Tarshis
- Survivor Diaries: Avalanche! (series) by Terry Lynn Johnson
- The Last Kids on Earth (series) by Max Brallier
- Me, Frida, and the Secret is the Peacock Ring by Angela Cervantes
- Leon the Extraordinary by Jamar Nicholas (graphic novel)
4th Grade Summer Reading: REALISTIC
If your 4th grade child likes realistic stories, here are my recommendations of 4th grade books to read:
- Guts by Raina Telgemeier (graphic novel)
- The One and Only Bob by Katherine Applegate
- Pie in the Sky by Remy Lai
- Restart by Gordon Korman
- Boy at the Back of the Class by Onjali Q Raúf
- Allergic by Megan Wagner Lloyd and Michelle Mee Nutter (graphic novel)
- Cress Watercress by Gregory Maguire
4th Grade Books to Read for Summer Reading: FUNNY
If your 4th grader likes funny books, they’ll love these 4th grade books:
- The Magical Reality of Nadia by Bassem Youssef and Catherine R. Daly
- The Terrible Two (series) by Mac Barnett and Jory John
- The First Cat in Space Ate Pizza by Mac Barnett (graphic novel)
- Phoebe and Her Unicorn (series) by Dana Simpson (graphic novel)
- The Beast and the Bethany by Jack Meggitt-Phillips
- It’s the End of the World and I’m in My Bathing Suit by Justin A. Reynolds
- Crabgrass Comic Adventures by Tauhid Bondia (graphic novel)
- Two-Headed Chicken by Tom Angleberger (graphic novel)
- Once Upon a Tim by Stuart Gibbs
4th Grade Books for Summer Reading: HISTORICAL FICTION
If your fourth grade readers like historical fiction, they’ll love this reading list:
- The Watson’s Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis
- John Lincoln Clem Civil War Drummer Boy (series) by E.F. Abbott
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Lifeboat 12 by Susan Hood (verse, based on a true story)
- Escape This Book Tombs of Egypt by Bill Doyle, illustrated by Sarah Sax & You
- Prairie Lotus by Linda Sue Park
- Indian No More by Charlene Willing McManis and Traci Sorell
4th Grade Summer Reading Booklist: NONFICTION
Don’t forget about reading nonfiction! For 4th grade books to read in nonfiction, try these great books. Read at least ONE of these 4th grade nonfiction books this summer!
- Gross As A Snot Otter: The World of Weird Animals by Jess Keating
- From an Idea to Nike: How Marketing Made Nike a Global Success by Lowey Bundy Sichol
- Beavers: The Superpower Field Guides by Rachel Poliquin
- Animal BFFs by Sophie Corrigan
- The Thrifty Guide to Ancient Rome by Jonathan W. Stokes
- Strange Nature: The Insect Portraits of Levon Biss by Gregory Mone
- A Day in the Life of a Poo, a Gnu, and You A Laugh Out Loud Guide to Life on Earth by Mike Barfield and Jess Bradley
- Courageous Creatures and the Humans Who Help Them I Survived True Stories by Lauren Tarshis
- The Biggest Stuff in the Universe by Mr. DeMaio
You Might Also Like: