By the time your child is in 4th grade, it’s absolutely vital he or she continue to read at least 20 minutes a day. Did you know that summer learning loss will affect his or her reading comprehension if you skip reading over the summer? So look through this fourth grade reading book list to find the best books for summer vacation that will keep your kid reading.
It’s win-win if you get your kids hooked on a series! Once they get hooked on one book, there’s plenty more to read. You’ll see below that I’ve indicated which books are in a series.
Do you want to know if a book is at your child’s reading level? Since these books are on Amazon, click to preview the book. Ask your child to read 1 random full page of text. If she misses between 1 – 5 words, the book is JUST RIGHT, meaning it’s at her comprehension level. 0 is too easy, which is fine but not all the time. Over 5 means the book is too challenging.
That being said, any books that are too challenging make perfect read alouds. Or, try them on audiobook.
Summer reading programs can be great motivation for your fourth graders. I love programs that give free books as a reward.
- ALL book recommendations plus reviews for 4th graders
- 3rd grade summer reading list
- 5th grade summer reading list
- All summer reading lists by grade
- Best activity books for home or travel
- Ultimate Guide to Book Clubs for Kids
4th Grade Reading List (age 9 – 10) for Summer
If your 4th-grade child likes fantasy books, read:
- Door to the Lost by Jaleigh Johnson
- Tuesdays at the Castle (series) by Jessica Day George
- Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi (graphic novel series)
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians (series) by Rick Riordan
- The Land of Stories (series) by Chris Colfer
- Dragon Slippers (series) by Jessica Day George
Adventure and Mystery
If they like adventure & mystery stories, they’ll love:
- Survivor Diaries: Avalanche!(series) by Terry Lynn Johnson
- Belly Up (series) by Stuart Gibbs
- Star Scouts (series) by Mike Lawrence (graphic novel)
- The Last Kids on Earth (series) by Max Brallier
- Me, Frida, and the Secret is the Peacock Ring by Angela Cervantes
- Jada Sly, Artist & Spy by Sherri Winston
If your child likes realistic stories, read:
- One-Third Nerd by Gennifer Choldenko
- Restart by Gordon Korman
- Power Forward by Hena Khan
- The Kicks (series) by Alex Morgan
- Click by Kayla Miller (graphic novel)
- Hero (series) by Jennifer Li Shotz
If you like funny books, you’ll love:
- Get to Work, Hercules! (Myth-O-Mania series) by Kate McMullan
- The Terrible Two (series) by Mac Barnett and Jory John
- Phoebe and Her Unicorn (series) by Dana Simpson
- The Worst Class Trip Ever (series) by Dave Barry
- Diary of a 6th Grade Ninja (series) by Marcus Emerson
- Fortunately, the Milk by Neil Gaiman
- Big Nate Welcome to My World (series) by Lincoln Peirce
If you like historical fiction, you’ll love
- American Girl Mysteries by various
- John Lincoln Clem Civil War Drummer Boy (series) by E.F. Abbott
- Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
- Lifeboat 12 by Susan Hood (verse)
If you like nonfiction, try these books:
- Rocket to the Moon: Big Ideas That Changed the World by Don Brown
- Beavers: The Superpower Field Guides by Rachel Poliquin
- 2020 National Geographic Almanac
- The Thrifty Guide to Ancient Rome by Jonathan W. Stokes
- Weird But True! Greek Mythology by Sarah Wassner Flynn
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!