Happy summer vacation 2016! What are the best books for your kids to be reading this summer? I think I can help answer that question. I’ve read a ton of books and am excited to bring you the best summer reading lists for kids at every grade level from elementary to middle school!!
Summer Reading Lists for Kids
Tips to Make Summer Reading Happen
1. CHOICE: Let your kids choose the books that they read.
2. BOUNTY: Fill your house with lots of books. More books = more chances for your children to find a fantastic, amazing, very good book that they can’t put down.
3. LIBRARY: Use your library. Let your kids go WILD and check out lots of books!
4. TIME: Kids need opportunities for reading. So, make sure they’re not filling all their time with TV, video games, and iPad time.
5. TECHNOLOGY: Don’t forget about audiobooks, Kindles, iPads, and Nook reading. Those count, too.
6. READABILITY: Make sure your child is reading books that he or she can actually comprehend. When choosing a book, use the 5 finger test to decide if it’s a just right book. During and after reading, ask your child to tell you a little bit about the story. If you haven’t read the story, read the back and ask questions pertaining to that summary. Make sure your child is understanding what he reads — and that he KNOWS IF HE DOESN’T.
For more help with reading comprehension ideas, visit this post.
–> NEW!! Download FREE printables for summer learning here.