11 Educational Apps for Kids

Affiliate Links 150 2

Since my husband got an iPad for work, we’ve found that educational apps are a great learning tool for the kids. Since I’ve only downloaded educational apps, they’re forced to choose an educational option. (Insert evil mom-laughter here –> Ha, ha, ha.)

So, without further ado, here are my mom-approved, kid-tested eleven favorite iPad educational apps for elementary-aged kids, not including eBooks. *I’ll put eBooks and iPad apps for preschoolers in separate posts.

Educational Apps for Kids

1. Baseball McGraw-Hill 1 – 6 Facts This educational app hooks kids by using baseball to practice math facts.

Educational Apps for Kids

2. Stack the States This education app gives kids a clever way to practice geography. AJ’s favorite!

Educational Apps for Kids

3. Beat the Computer McGraw-Hill We got this when it was free, AJ likes it mostly.

Educational Apps for Kids

4. Tangram Love this educational app for learning spacial relationships.

Educational Apps for Kids

5. Math Girl Addition House Motivating way to practice and learn math with games and fun activities.

Educational Apps for Kids

6. Star Walk Very cool astronomy app for everyone.

Educational Apps for Kids

7. Robot Tycoon fun educational app to teach kids about entrepreneurship.

Educational Apps for Kids

8. Mad Libs (expensive) Great app for storytelling and parts of speech.

Educational Apps for Kids

9. Hangman – spelling fun.

Educational Apps for Kids

10. Doodlefit – can you say visual / spacial?

Educational Apps for Kids

11. Playtime Theater — lots of ways to be creative here. My girls are addicted.

More . .

This is a great post. I’m going to download the visual/spacial apps you recommend. I strongly agree on Hangman and Stack the States. I have not yet bought Scrabble because I have not heard anything good about it except from you. The comments on Scrabble seem downright vitriolic.

2. Kathleen says

Check out this site on facebook for abundant resources describing apps for children with special needs:
    Gary James also provides free apps on occasion! It is well worth the journey~

Please permit me to introduce you to a new children’s educational game for the iPad and iPhone:

Counting Beads is a totally fun way for children to learn numbers and letters of the alphabet. The numbers (or letters) appear as colored beads that you connect by dragging each bead into its next higher numbered bead. As you connect the beads in numbered order, you create a chain that follows the lead bead as you drag. This teaches the numbers visually. You can also move the bead chain by holding the device face-up parallel to the floor and tilting it slightly to let gravity roll the leading bead downhill. Even older folks can have fun with this amusing simple game.

A brief demo video of this app is available on UTube:

I like Splash Math. They are creating iPad apps for grades 1-3 (more grades are coming) which address the changing curriculum across the country. They are Common Core aligned and help fill those gaps between current standards and common core. The kids LOVE it: the graphics are amazing and parents get progress reports.

It is so amazing you’ve shared this info here! this article saved me out lot of time.
    I was just looking for some smart apps for kids to help them improve.

6. Brandon says

“I can’t tell you how much my son loves “Smart Toddler School Pro++” app. After a week, he knows every word, and walks around all day singing ‘Red… Apple… Red… Apple…. Red, Red, Red.’ etc. Thanks for being so creative. He’s really learning his shapes. He loves to tell me how many points a shape has. He will say ‘Please give me that pillow…the rectangle one with four points?’ Also, the tracing letter, alphabets with graphic sound scheme is fantastic.