I hope you’ve downloaded my free summer learning printables — Brain Camp — and seen the math options from which your kid can choose. If not, here’s the link. Today, I want to make sure you have all the resources you’ll need to help your kids in elementary (primary) school with these fun summer math activities.
Summer Math Activities for Kids
1. Math Apps
- Addition & Subtraction Apps
- Multiplication and Division Apps
- Geometry Apps
- Fraction Apps
- STEM Apps (science, technology, engineering, and math)
2. Hands-On Math Activities
- Counting to 100 ideas
- Make 2D and 3D geometric shapes with pretzels & marshmallows
- Make a number line outside with chalk
- Cookie math fractions
- Make a pattern with LEGOs
- Measure and find the area and perimeter of any room in your house. (metric system)
- Sort coins by their values. Find 3 ways to make $1.00 with coins.
- Add and subtract candy
- Print out a 100s chart. Skip count by 2, 3, 4, or 5, highlighting those numbers.
- Make up a math story problem using your toys. Act it out. Write it down. Have someone in your family solve it.
- Make a hula hoop clock
- Sing multiplication songs
- Division car race
- Make a graph out of LEGOs
3. Math Puzzles
4. Math Games
single digit addition & subtraction (& a Taylor family favorite!)
addition & subtraction fact families
addition, subtraction, money, & making 100 card game (FUN!)
Even Steven’s Odd
number matching skills, addition & subtraction, quick thinking
visually see what fractions add up to 1 whole
addition and subtraction equation cards match to answers on the game board
Zeus on the Loose
addition & subtraction of 2-digit numbers
Math Dice by Think Fun
roll the dice to practice multiplication — best for groups of 3 or more
multiplication and division practice in a strategy and luck game
5. Math Workbooks
Brain Quest Workbooks (I usually select the grade level the child has just completed so it’s review.)
I’ve downloaded these apps and they’re glitchy so far so I don’t recommend them. Use the books instead.
Singapore Math Workbooks
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!