Got some time? Count. Count in the car. Count on a walk. Count making dinner. By 1s, by 10s, by 2s, by 5s. Counting is fun but takes repetition.
Count by ones (1s) to one hundred (100)
- Count from one and see how high you can go!
- Count your fingers — make sure that you have ten.
- Hap Palmer music CD with the Number March song.
- Play an online counting game from abc.net.
- Count all the _________ you see (trees, blue cars, red lights.)
- Make up a counting song.
- Count all your snack items.
- Play hopscotch.
Count by tens (10s)
(Also called skip counting by 10s.)
- Read the book Chica Chica 123.
- Teach your child how to count by 10s by counting by 10s up to 50. Then, as your child masters it, continue on up to 100.
Count by twos (2s)
Count by fives (5s)
- Start counting by 5s by saying “5, 10, 15, 20.” Have your child say it with you. Repeat. Add on when ready.
- Play this online Halloween game for kids with sequences of five, starting at any number!
- Count nickles.
- Use your hand and high five someone else while counting by fives.
Practice makes better. Keep practicing and you’ll see your kids catch on.