60 Favorite Book Character Costumes

Affiliate Links Dress up as your favorite book character and have a Happy Bookish Halloween! How about one of these book character costume ideas from the best children’s picture and chapter books?

Favorite Book Character Costumes

*9/26/11 Updated with reader comments.

60 Favorite Book Character Costumes

Alice in Wonderland

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum

The Mad Hatter (child size)

Queen of Hearts (child size, teen size)

Amelia Bedelia

Angelina Ballerina

Any of the American Girls

Artemis Fowl

Bad Kitty

Captain Underpants

Cat in the Hat

Charlie Bone

Charlie Brown

Clark the Shark

Clifford the Big Red Dog

Cow (Click Clack Moo, Cows that Type)

Crayon (Crayon Child) (The Day the Crayons Quit)

Curious George

Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Dragon (Dragons Love Tacos, Puff the Magic Dragon, How to Train Your Dragon Eragon)

Dr. Seuss Characters:

The Hobbit / Lord of the Rings

Bilbo Baggins

How to Train Your Dragon

Night Fury

Judy Moody

Junie B. Jones

Knight toddler, child (King Arthur, The Knight and the Dragon, St. George & the Dragon)

Ladybug Girl and Bumblebee Boy

The Stinky Cheese Man

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Uglies: Tally

Where’s Waldo

Winnie The Pooh

Roo Costume

Witch (A Very Brave Witch, Winnie the Witch)

Wizard of Oz:

Tin Man

Wicked Witch

Glinda the Good

What other costume ideas do you have?

favorite book character costumes

also read –> Book Character Costumes for Kids and Tweens

1. Allison says

I thought of a few others: Percy Jackson (Olympians series), Greg Heffley from Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and Charlie Bone (Charlie Bone series).

Ok, so here are some of the ones that we thought up (possibly more to come!):

-Waldo from Where’s Waldo
    -Harriet the Spy
    -Alice from Alice in Wonderland, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, The Mad Hatter (etc)
    -Amelia Bedelia
    -Any of the American Girls
    -Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys
    -Any of the characters from the Little House on the Prairie series
    -Any of the characters from the Arthur books
    -Ms Frizzle from the Magic School Bus books
    -Jack and Annie from the Magic Tree House books
    -Pigeon from the Pigeon books by Mo Willems
    -Elephant and Piggie (Mo Willems)
    -Dr. Seuss characters (The Lorax, Thing 1 and Thing 2, etc)
    -Sherlock Holmes
    -Curious George
    -Tacky the Penguin
    -Little Red Riding Hood

I remember making a spider costume that was used for several Halloweens by both of my sons, Devin and Bernie … my old black leotard from Modern Dance, a cap/mask with the eight eyes, and extra legs sewn to the sides, with monofilament fishing line attached at the elbows and running down through the extra legs at the “knees,” so when the boys raised their arms, the extra legs would follow.

Well, back in the day when I did substitute teaching, the school was having a book character parade around Halloween … so, yes, I wore that spider costume to represent Charlotte from Charlotte’s web. My class and the teachers love my enthusiasm and willingness to play the part … I’ve always been a kid at heart, who loves to read!

4. candicelarsen says

My kids dressed up as Dr. Seuss characters all 6 of them. Lion Ten apples up on top, cindy lou who, sam I am, Daisy-Head Mayzie, A Sneetch, Red Fish. I wish I could send a picture but I do not know how!

5. Angela says

Olivia the Pig – my daughter dressed up today for their character parade and won best look alike for the 2nd grade. Very different!

Did you know that there is a great new plugin that you can use in order to get top listings on Google and other search engines? With this tool, you can instantly see which keyword phrases are less competitive but still highly searched. Used to its full potential, this plugin will revolutionize your online business and help you to reap huge financial rewards. Just create a post like you normally would but when you type in your headline, the software will give you suggestions for search terms that could be better for your rankings. Up to 10 keyword suggestions for each headline are at your finger tips making it easy to target the right keywords and rank to the 1st page easily! Less competitive phrases are highlighted green, orange for average competing keywords and more competitive phrases are highlighted red! You can drill down on any suggested keyword until you get a low competition keyword. If you are an affiliate marketer then this could be just what you need to skyrocket your response rates. Check it Out -> http://adf.ly/1WI2X

These are all wonderful ideas! I have been planning to do something fun for my daughter. These will be helpful.

I was also thinking of:

– Letters climbing up the coconut tree – from Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

– Max in his wolf suit – from ‘Where the Wild things are’

– Ganesha the Elephant God – from Indian mythology tales

– Kali the blood sucking Goddess – again from Indian mythology

8. Jen says

Pippi Longstocking! I dress up as her a lot for Halloween and have won a lot of costume contests with this character. The kids love it too! I have red hair so I started using this costume in second grade and have continued to use it every few years now that I work with kids. :)