Baseball Picture Books
1. ABCs of Baseball by Peter Golenbock, pictures by Dan Andreasen
2. Flat Stanley at Bat (I Can Read 2) by Jeff Brown, illustrated by Mackey Pamintuan
3. Lucky Luis by Gary Soto, illustrated by Rhode Montijo
4. Brother’s At Bat: The True Story of an All Brother Baseball Team by Audrey Vernick, illustrated by Steven Salerno
5. Poem Runs: Baseball Poems by Douglas Florian
6. Randy Riley’s Really Big Hit by Chris Van Dusen
Baseball Chapter Books
1. Plunked by Michael Northrop
2. A Diamond in the Desert by Kathryn Fitzmaurice
3. Fantasy Baseball by Alan Gratz
4. Pinch Hit by Tim Green
5. The Super Sluggers Wing Ding by Kevin Markey
6. Hothead by Carl Ripkin, Jr.
7. Roberto and Me by Dan Gutman A Baseball Card Adventure
8. Fenway Fever by John H. Ritter
9. Little Rhino My New Team by Ryan Howard and Krystle Howard
You’ll find the themes about making friends and dealing with bullies to be both realistic and helpful. Little Rhino joins a little league baseball team only to discover that the boy who bullies him is on his same team. His wise grandfather and daily lunch at the dinosaur table help Rhino and his shy friend gain new social skills and the confidence to deal with the bully.
10. A Topps League Story: Book One: Jinxed! by Kurtis Scaletta illustrated by Eric Wight
This is an early chapter book story that will appeal to kids even if they don’t love baseball as much as Chad, the main character. He’s thrilled to be a bat boy for the summer but can’t understand why his classmate Dylan isn’t as thrilled. Nor can Chad figure out how to help his favorite player who can’t seem to stop all his bad luck. Is he jinxed?
11. The Philly Fake Ballpark Mysteries by David A. Kelly, illustrated by Mark Meyers
Not only is this a well-written mystery, I loved how the author included so much history within the story. I really enjoyed reading it and thought the mystery had a great hook. One of my top picks for early chapter books!