24 Literacy Learning Apps for Kids

As I started a go-to list of the best learning apps for kids, the list got so long, I split up my posts into categories. So, today we’ll start with my favorite apps for literacy — reading and writing for toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary-age kids. Also, I’ve included special needs iPad app resources at the end of this post.

1. BrainPOP Featured Movie – BrainPOP®
I’m very impressed with the quality and learning videos – kids love these!

2. The Electric Company
Social-emotional games and content.

Pre-Reading, Reading and Writing Apps

3. Word Games for Kids – Futaba – INKids

4. Word Wall HD
An app that makes learning words fun.

5. FirstWords: Animals
Fun and playful app for learning words.

6. Fingerprint Play Maker
Write your own play.

7. Big Kid Life FireFighter
Lots of fun — for free!

8. Big Kid Life Vet
Free!

9. Sight Word Bingo
Engaging app for learning sight words.

10. Goofy Mad Libs
This app gives you word suggestions so you’re also building vocabulary while learning parts of speech and writing.

11. iF Poems
I LOVE this app! Especially the poems read by Helena Bonham Carter.

12. Toontastic
A big favorite app of ours – a great way to write your own stories.

13. Scribblenauts Remix
Thinking, writing, spelling, problem solving . . .LOVE this learning app!

14. Don’t Let the Pigeon Run This App!
Make your own story and learn how to draw pigeon.

15. iDiary for Kids
Write and draw in your journal.

16. abc Joined Up
An engaging way to get kids to write!

17. Story Patch
Tell your own story.

18. My Story – Book Maker for Kids

19. Sock Puppets

20. Comic Life

21. Kids Crosswords

22. Spellosaur
A spelling app that lets you enter in your own words.

23. Chickitionary
Another spelling app.

24. Rory’s Story Cubes
A storytelling app.

If you’re reading textbooks on the iPad, taking notes, or sharing files, you’ll want to consider these apps –> Goodreader, Evernote, Audio Note, Dropbox, and Aurasma.

Special Needs iPad App Resources:

Apps for Autism by Lois Jean Brady, M.A., CCC-SLP
A Basket of Special Needs Apps on Help f0r Struggling Readers
Apps for Special Needs on Moms With Apps
Special Needs iPad App List on Support for Special Needs

What are your kids’ favorite reading and writing iPad apps?

Learning Apps

Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission, but you pay the same amount as you would without the link.Regardless, I only recommend products or services I recommend personally and believe will add value to my readers.

You Might Also Like . . .

Best iPad Book Apps for Kids

Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math iPad Apps for Kids

Comments

1. (Apps or Children with Special Needs) A4CWSN.com & also A4CWSN on facebook excellent resources! says

Please share the A4CWSN site as a resource 😀

I love the Kids Crosswords. There are some excellent Montessori based apps. One of our favorites along the same topic is Montessorium’s Intro to Letters. We also love Duck Duck Moose Fish School and Word Wagon, Learning Touch First Words and Night and Day’s Eric Carle My Very First App. You may already know these apps but I thought I’d throw them into the mix.

Thanks for the great list!

Marnie

Hi
    Recently got the new app, School Writing, and I am very impressed that I was able to create my own word lists as well as fully customise the sounds and images. I also like that my girls can give an audio response if that is how I create the exercises for them. Has been great for the spelling lists and really nice to see the app email me the completed exercises with images and recorded sounds.

Well worth a look.

4. Kelly says

My kindergarten daughter loves Story Patch! A must see! Kids can use family photos from your iPad album to create a story as well as the images provided by Story Patch. We have lots of fun with this app :-)

I know I’ll be seen as a hater when I ask this but do you think it gets kids addicted to electronics too early by allowing them to play on iPads and iPhones? I struggle with this and realize that eventually they will interact with them but when is the right time?

• says

Autumn, I think you ask an important question and agree that that it’s concerning. As far as for playing with iPads/iPhones, I recommend parents limit screen time on these, TV, and gaming devices. Ages needs to be a decision that each parent makes depending on your values. I can only say that the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends no TV under age 2 so one could probably generalize that to iPads as well. That being said, I do think that iPad apps that are educationally oriented are much more interactive than the passiveness of television.

What do you think?

Little Bird Tales recently released an app, too! Digital storytelling for kids that includes their voice, photos and/or artwork! Super easy and fast to use! It’s hugely popular with the kids I know who already have it! Parents and teachers love how flexible and creative it is. Could be used for reports, lessons, collaborative works, sequencing, kid podcasts, fundraising commercials, special demonstrations… endless possibilities!

7. Kristina Speakes says

No screen time before 2 is very important for developing depth perception. Studies are now showing that all of this screen time before 2 is actually impairing kids ability to develop depth perception and that the effects are long-lasting. Regardless of what you may or may not think about interaction, screen time (of any kind) for under 2s is not a healthy idea.

8. Sarah Brown says

Thanks for sharing the entire list of 24 educational iPad Apps for kids reading writing for all. It will provide kids more interest and aptitude in learning.

9. katherine Szalay says

This is worth the free trial though as kids learn a fun way to spell and
    hear the sounds that each letter makes! This is one of the few apps
    that I would actually purchase after previewing.
    Dissertationmall

10. Haydar Sarkis says

Illiteracy is the issue of all the countries because qualified people only contribute and lead others. However, the emergence of online education has paved way for many people where they can easily acquire education and also get online life experience degree on the basis of their experience in a relevant field.

11. rogerr says

When life becomes tough and education becomes a necessity, it is imperative to join an online school or college where you can continue your present life and also entrench a path for a successful future. In UAE you have the opportunity to get education without leaving your home.

12. Guest says

I’ve tried some of these with my daughter. They are a great way of practicing and she really enjoys them.

Trackbacks

1. […] By Melissa Taylor "As I started a go-to list of the best educational iPad apps for kids, the list got so long, I split up my posts into categories. So, today we’ll start with my favorite iPad apps for literacy — reading and writing for toddlers, preschoolers, and elementary-age kids. Also, I’ve included special needs iPad app resources at the end of this post."  […]