We think Rober Munsch is hilarious! Do you agree? Here are some of our favorite funny Munsch picture books.
Kiss Me, I’m Perfect – It will make anyone who’s received a “grandma gift” groan with recognition.
Stephanie’s Ponytail – Great for reminding you to be yourself; to not do what everyone else is doing — or you might end up bald!
The Paperbag Princeess – The story of a brave princess who rescues a prince with a surprise ending. The whole story is quite funny.
Andrew’s Loose Tooth. An exploration of ways to extract a tooth. My favorite part is the leather clad motorcycle driving tooth fairy.
(Munsch also wrote Love you Forever which is the only book I don’t really like — maybe it’s just me but isn’t it kind of creepy that a mom would crawl into her grown son’s window to rock him to sleep?)
Anyway, what to do with your Munsch collection of books?
How about these activities?
2 – 4 year olds:
- Make your own paper bag princess or prince.
- Draw your favorite part of the story you read with “super-indelible-never-comeoff-utill-you’re-dead-and-maybe-even-later” (quote from Purple, Green and Yellow.)
5 – 12 year olds:
- Look for onomatopoeias when you read. (Words that sound like what they are – crunch is an example.)
- Find where Munsch uses repetition in the story.
- Scholastic Canada offers Munsch games and activities.
- Complete this word search for the Paper Bag Princess.
- Write Rober Munsch a letter and tell him an idea you have for a new funny book or tell him your favorite book and why it’s your favorite.
- Do an online Scavenger Hunt about Robert Munsch.
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!