As you know, I’m a huge fan of Think Fun‘s learning games for kids. Their latest math game, Math Dice Chase, is an engaging game for kids practicing multiplication skills. It’s like Hot Potato but with multiplication and pairs of dice. I think it’s best for 3 to 6 players and highly recommend it for classrooms.
Math Dice Chase Multiplication Game
How to Play Math Dice Chase
1. Sit in a circle. Two players get a pair of colored dice each. It’s best if these players are on opposite sides of the circle of players.
2. The players roll the colored dice and quickly calculate the product of the two numbers rolled. (8 x 2 = 16)
3. If you got the product correct, pass the dice to the person on your left. (If you don’t get it correct, you can be challenged by another player and might have to sit out for one round.)
4. Play continues like before — roll, solve, pass.
5. If you get stuck with both pair of dice, you must sit out for the rest of the round.
6. When only two players are left, they have a roll off — who ever gets the product of their dice first wins.
Math Dice Chase is only $6.99. Buy a few games and combine them for larger groups of players or several small groups.
What do you think? I’m always looking for ways to practice multiplication that are engaging, aren’t you?