Holiday Author Study of Jan Brett
This post may contain affiliate links.
Brett’s website includes a ton of activities and coloring pages. Read these favorites–then try the fun activities! Happy holidays! Gingerbread BabyJan Brett is required reading for the holidays. Her writing tells a story, and so do her illustrations – especially the borders.
- Make gingerbread cookies into different figures – girl, boy, cat, dog and so on.
- Retell the gingerbread story using your cookie as the main character. Invent new scenarios.
- Print out Brett’s own animal masks to reenact the story.
- Make reindeer bags with reindeer food.
- The names of the reindeer in this story are different than the more familiar names. Which ones do you like? What would you name your reindeers?
- Reindeer crafts here.
- Notice the illustrations on the borders.
- Count up the animals in the story.
- Print out these mittens. Talk about symmetry and matching. Decorate one mitten to match the other. Punch a hole in the bottom of both and join with a string.
Love it! These look great!