Happy Birthday, Cupcake! Review and Activities
The latest picture book from Terry Border, creator of the photography site Bent Objects is HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CUPCAKE! and it’s a mouth-watering adventure using everyday-object photography. (Also, don’t miss his previous book, Peanut Butter & Cupcake!)
Never Before Seen Photograph from Happy Birthday, Cupcake!
Cupcake wants to celebrate her birthday with all her friends but she worries that her party ideas won’t work for everyone. Like how fun would a beach party be? Except that some of her friends melt. So that’s out. In the end, Cupcake’s friends give her the best birthday party ever.
And, in big never-before-revealed news, here’s Cupcake reading her own picture book to her friends!!!
Isn’t Border’s photography amazing?!
Make Your Own Cupcake Book
1. Start by planning out your story. My daughter choose to use a plot pyramid structure. Get directions for how to do this here.
2. Plan a background and foreground. We like to use tri-fold poster boards and colorful paper. However, for this project we used cardboard boxes decorated with scrapbooking paper.
3. Set up each scene to photograph.
* To make your cupcake’s arms, try using a paperclip or pipe cleaner.
* Use props from other toy sets — LEGOs or Barbies.
* Make your own sets using the how-to videos from My Froggy Stuff.
4. For each scene, take lots of photos from different angles.
5. Edit photos for lighting using PicMonkey or any editing program. Pick your best photos for each scene.
6. Insert your best photos into a Word document, leaving room on each page to write the story. Then, write the story and print out.
Good job! You just wrote your own Cupcake story!!
Do More Fun Cupcake Activities