(Disclosure: I’m working with Kwix Stix to bring you this craft idea.) Looking for Christmas crafts for kids? Inspired by the mix and match drawing game, Exquisite Corpse, we made mix and match Christmas themed blocks decorated with Kwik Stix quick drying tempera paints. The end result is a fun toy for kids to play with during the Christmas holiday.
Christmas Crafts for Kids: Paint Mix and Match Blocks
1.Give your kids 3 blocks to start: one for the head, one for the body (middle), and one for the legs and feet. The goal is to make 1 complete person or animal on all four sides of each block so that you can mix and match your Christmas blocks to make funny new people.
2. Brainstorm all the Christmas people and animals you might want to paint. Here are some ideas to get you started:
3. Sketch out your head, body, and legs before you paint.
4. Paint using the fast drying Kwik Stix tempura paint sticks. These really do dry fast (90 seconds) so you don’t have to worry about smears or a mess. And aren’t the colors so vibrant? We love that! We really like these Thin Stix since they’re longer and thinner which works well for crafts like this one.
5. Outline what you painted using black marker. This adds a nice finished look to each block.
6. Once you’re finished, see what funny new Christmas creatures you can make! (Like the elf/santa/reindeer in the photo above.)
My arts and crafts loving daughter really enjoyed this project. Plus, now we have a fun Christmas toy that we made ourselves.
Kwik Stix, from The Pencil Company, are not only egg, peanut, and gluten free, but they are also dairy and soy free. Kwik Stix are available in store at Michaels and Walgreens, and online at Amazon.com. Their 24 pack of Thin Stix is available at BJ’s Wholesale for the discounted price of $19.99 for a limited time only! It is normally sold for $24.99.
Would your kids like to make this?
Download my free "Can't Put 'Em Down Books for Kids" e-book for ages 2 - 18.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!