One of the best things about being an author of children’s books is I get to travel all around the country and visit schools and libraries and talk about writing. No matter where I go, there’s one question that someone almost always asks: what’s your favorite book that you wrote.
It used to be I would say, “That’s like asking me to choose which of my children is my favorite. Both of my children are special to me for different reasons. And all of my books are special to me for different reasons, too.”
My Favorite Books
But that was before The Buddy Files.
The Buddy Files is a series of books for beginning chapter book readers about a school therapy dog who solves mysteries. THESE are my favorite books that I’ve written.
Because they’re written from a dog’s point of view. I love writing from a dog’s point of view.
That can be a good exercise for kids, too, to try and view the world from an animal’s point of view rather than their own.
Writing Activity for Kids
Here’s a writing activity I sometimes use with kids when I teach writing workshops:
1) Choose your favorite animal
2) Make a list of things this animal can do better at than humans.
3) Now make a list of things humans can do that this animal CAN’T do. What might your animal do instead? For example: a dog can’t open a door. He might solve that problem by barking until someone comes and opens the door.
4) Write a story about your animal and make the animal the main character. Use examples from each of your lists.
5) Share your story with a parent, teacher or friend. Discuss how your story would be different if the main character was a human instead of an animal.
Bio: Dori Butler’s written 25 picture books and novels for children and ghostwritten 10 Sweet Valley Twins and Boxcar Children books. The Buddy Files: Case of the Lose Boy won the 2011 Edgar® Award for best juvenile mystery published in 2010. She lives in Coralville, Iowa with her husband, son, and assorted pets. Catch up with Dori on her blog, A Day in the Life of a Children’s Book Author and her Dog.
Giveaway: 5 Winners! The Case of the Lost Boy
Win one of five copies of The Case of The Lost Boy, the first Buddy Files book. Winners will be selected by random drawing. (Imagination Soup’s official giveaway rules.) U.S. and Canada only please. Deadline for entering is October 14, 2011, 11:59 EST. No purchase necessary.
Leave a comment to be entered to win. If you want, share your favorite animal story.
Extra entry: Subscribe via email or RSS to Imagination Soup and leave a separate comment saying you did, or tell me you do already.