Attn: hardworking, busy middle school teachers! Grades 5 – 9 are the age group at the highest risk of trying tobacco, as you probably know. Research shows that kids between ages 11 and 15 are most likely to try smoking for the first time. Yikes!
BIG GIVEAWAY!!–> To say thank you for all your hard work, Right Decisions Right Now, my partner on this post, is giving 4 WINNERS a $500 Staples gift card to use for classroom supplies for the 2017/18 school year as well as a colorful, printed Cost of Smoking wall poster. Scroll down to learn more.
Anti-Smoking Resources for Teachers
Proven to significantly decrease smoking levels, the Right Decisions Right Now program offers resources for teachers of grades 5 – 9. You’ll find:
- Smart Board Activities: These lesson plans cover making health choices, consequences of choices, and you and tobacco. Handy!
- Videos: The videos, organized by grade level and subject, include a summary, discussion starters, and where it fits in the RDRN curriculum. I like that these discussion prompts include questions for pausing the video midway through. Breaking it up into chunks is a great way to make sure kids are getting the information.
- Posters: Download infographics and posters such as The Cost of Smoking, How to Say No, and many more. These are attention-grabbing with great information.
- Brochures: Send these home with your students to help understand the RDRN program as well as how to help kids be tobacco free.
- Pledge Forms: Take the tobacco free pledge. For both parents and students which is great if you have a student who wants his or her parent to stop smoking.
Classroom teachers, find the contest online here. It’s easy to enter and worth it for the cool prize!
Classroom contest is open to United States residents who are currently employed full- or part-time as an educator by an accredited public or private K-12 school in the United States.
Contest closes on June 30, 2017.
4 randomly-drawn winners will each receive a $500 Staples gift card + a printed Cost of Smoking wall poster.
Download my "Can't Put 'Em Down" book lists for your kids ages 3 - 13.
Also, I'll send you a bonus "23 Reasons to Read" printable poster!