Disclosure: I’m partnering with Digital Promise to bring you this information.
Teachers, do you know about micro-credentials? They’ll help your instructional practices meet the needs of today’s complex classrooms — and they’re available online with Digital Promise, tailored to your specific needs, sharable, and competency based.
If you’re like me, when you graduated from your teaching certification program, you had virtually no idea what you were doing. Especially in specific area like supporting language learners! I had to scramble learn more so that I could support my learners. Which, in my first classroom, were students who only spoke Spanish and students who only spoke English. What a range of needs!
Teacher, Learn The Benefits of Online Micro-Credentials
For those of you who support English language learners, micro-credentials will help you improve your instructional practices. Not only that, you’ll be able to better help students in all content areas. (I only wish this were around when I was trying to learn this 30 years ago!)
In today’s diverse classrooms, you know that our instruction influence actual student language use and development, good or bad.
Earn a micro-credential for the type of learning you wish to pursue — you can try an in-service workshop to a YouTube demo lesson. Any and all of the opportunities will help you as a teacher better support your students.
The Digital Promise Micro-credentials Ecosystem provides a valuable and convenient tool for educators, districts, content developers and others to improve in their professions.
Digital Promise micro-credentials are:
• On-demand – Micro-credentials live on an agile online platform, allowing educators to start and continue the process of earning micro-credentials on their own time.
• Personalized – Educators can select the micro-credentials they wish to earn from a catalogue of over 300, ranging in competencies from teaching binary code to using exit tickets effectively, and create a professional learning journey aligned to their specific needs.
• Shareable – Educators can display their earned micro-credentials as digital badges on LMSs, social media sites, or a blog to signal their demonstrated skillset.
• Competency-based – By focusing on an explicit skill, micro-credentials allow educators to demonstrate ability in that skill through evidence from their practice — such as classroom videos or student work.
Each Digital Promise micro-credential is developed using a framework to ensure they:
• Focus on a single competency
• Are supported by research
• Require evidence of competence
• Include a rubric for evaluation
To earn a micro-credential, teachers:
1. Select a specific skill or area in which they want to develop and demonstrate competency, or an area or skill they already possess competence in
2. Collect the required evidence as articulated in the micro-credential (e.g. videos, audio, writing samples, samples of student work, reflections from students and/or teachers etc.)
3. Submit their evidence through the online platform
4. Assessors then review the evidence against the scoring guide and rubric If educators successfully demonstrate competence, they receive the micro-credential in the form of a digital badge.
Learn more about developing your skills with micro-credentials like these:
But there are a ton more classes! You’ll be amazed once you start poking around the site! It’s so cool to think that you can learn (on your own time) about collaborative coaching or sketchnoting. (I’ve personally been wanting to learn sketchnoting for awhile now.)
Many districts want to shift professional development from seat-time to competency. With a competency based professional learning, educators will learn how to personalize and demonstrate learning through evidence giving teachers time to apply the learning. To this end, get empowered to personalize skill-driven learning for students!
(And, you’ll benefit from it with new credentials, more teaching credits in some cases, and valuable skills.)
Download a FREE book list of books your reader won't want to put down!
PLUS, I'll send you a motivating "23 Reasons to Read" poster!