A few months ago, I got to teach writing workshop in second grade. I taught them how to make an easy handmade book that they could replicate at home. All one needs is paper, a paperclip, and a rubber band.
We made word collection books. The kids used them in reading, where they copied down words they LOVED; and in writing, where they incorporated their collection of amazing, lushious words in poems and stories.
Easy DIY Handmade Books for Kids
1. Cut the paper to the size you want. We used blank, colored, and recycled paper.
2. Fold in half and hole punch the pages on the top and the bottom.
3. Thread the paper clip through a rubber band. Thread the rubber band through the top hole.
4. Bring the rubber band down and through the bottom hole. Attach to the bottom of the paper clip.
5. You’re done and ready to write!
Make these ahead of time with your child. Stack in your writing area or art center for easy access.
Need ideas of what to write about? Start a HUMONGOUS list by looking at your own library of books, stacks of mail, . . . anything written. What do other people write about? Scribble, draw, and color those idea seeds in your gigantic list so you’re never without an idea.
What do you think? Don’t ya love it?