Take Our Daughters and Sons to Work Day is Thursday, April 28 but it can be an opportunity to pursue your child’s interests and explore careers beyond your own. Both my husband and I work at home so my kids pretty much understand what we do. Mommy works on the computer. Daddy talks on the phone. Not very exciting.
So, we figured it was time to explore other careers — like being a fashion designer. We turned to FashionPlaytes.com, which was recently recognized as “a great website for girls that are interested in fashion” by the Good Housekeeping Research Institute, to design clothes. FashionPlaytes.com lets girls pick out the style and color of clothes like jeans, hoodies, t-shirts, and dresses. After you pick out the fabric, girls can customize even more with appliqués, rhinestones, ribbons, and ruffles. And, it’s not even too expensive which was a nice surprise, although they kindly gave me some credit to spend. 🙂
Look at what JJ made – she was soooooo proud of her creation!
I wasn’t sure about her choice of ruffle at the bottom but it turned out okay! (The headband is also from FashionPlaytes.)
AJ made cropped pants. Aren’t they cute?
She picked out the bling and ruffle for her extra customization.
Isn’t this such a cool concept for kids? You can design your own tops, dresses, bottoms, doll clothes, outerwear, lounge wear and beachwear.
DISCOUNT CODE: Want to shop and save? Go to FashionPlaytes and use the code “imaginationsoup” to save 15% on merchandise orders of $30 or more. (Not applicable towards gift cards or shipping and the code can only be redeemed 1 time per person. The expiration date is 7/31/2011.)
(Sorry boys, this company only carries designs for girls.)
More Career Fun For All Kids
– AUTHORS/ILLUSTRATORS: Tikatok allows parents and their children to write, illustrate, and publish original stories into professional-quality hardcover and paperback books.
– ARCHITECTS: Architect Studio 3D lets young architects design a home.
– EDITORS & JOURNALISTS: My Pop Studio provides a creative play experience that lets kids become television, music, magazines and online media editors. For example, the magazine studio lets kids compose a magazine layout featuring themselves as celebrities, write an advice column, and even explore digital retouching.
– MUSICIANS: TheSan Francisco Symphonywebsite includes a component called “the composerizer” where kids can make their own tunes by combining different measures of music.
– HOSPITAL & THEATER: Kids Work! website allows kids to discover jobs at the hospital and the theater.
– ALL CAREERS: Kids.gov lists at least a hundred careers from zoo-keeper to disc jockey and has kid-safe links for further information. For grades 6 – 8.
Earn It, Learn It: Teach Your Child the Value of Money, Work, and Time Well Spent by Alisa T. Weinstein
This book teaches children about 50 different professions, and in the learning process, tasks are worth money and can be tied to allowance.
Career Day by Anne F. Rockwell
Richard Scarry’s What Do People Do All Day?
See What You Can Be: Explore Careers That Could Be for You by Diane Heiman and Liz Suneby (American Girl)