It’s time to introduce your kids who are fans of Harry Potter to writing fanfiction.
Because it gets them writing and stretching their imaginations.
Both very good things.
Oh, and did I mention it’s tons of fun? Especially if you write with your friends.
What is fanfiction, or fanfic?
Fanfiction is fiction written by fans of the original works that takes parts of the original story (characters, settings, etc.) and reimagines a new story. Cross-over fanfic is when the story takes more than one original story and merges the two – Harry Potter characters with Percy Jackson characters, for example.
And, believe it or not, fan fiction can actually be a way to break into the world of publishing. Cassandra Clare, YA author, started out writing fan fiction. So did YA author, Meg Cabot. Cool, huh? (Oh, and Neil Gaiman has published fanfiction before, too.)
If you’re worried about what J.K. Rowlings things, don’t be. According to her book agency, “JK Rowling’s reaction is that she is very flattered by the fact there is such great interest in her Harry Potter series and that people take the time to write their own stories.” She says she’s fine with fanfiction as long as it does not contain racism or pornography.
There you go. (Some authors do mind but not Rowlings.)
Tips for Writing Harry Potter Fanfic
1. Pick a story (Harry Potter) also called a fandom and the characters you will write about.
2. Understand that the story works better if the basics, or the canon, aren’t changed (eg. a character’s personality, looks, way of speaking, etc.). Look at the Harry Potter Lexicon to get the sense of things that are basics, that shouldn’t be altered – Draco Malfoy, for example, isn’t a hugger who speaks with a lisp.
3. However, if you want the story to be changed up so much that it doesn’t follow the canon, this is called fanfiction AU or Alternate Universe.
4. Plot your story. Ask quesions like “What if ____________ happened?” or “What would __________ do if __________ occured?”
Action – Problem – Resolution
6. Revise. Read other people’s fanfic to inspire how your story could be improved. One of the best Harry Potter fanfiction stories are the James Potter books, available for free on Goodreads.
7. Edit. (Grammar, spelling, punctuation.)
**Parents, be aware that some fanfiction stories are not appropriate for kids. Rating systems apply –> K for kids, T for teen, and M or MA for mature.
And, if you remember, I’d love to read what your kids write – so email me or post to my Facebook page.
Harry Potter Sweepstakes
I’m joining Raegun Ramblings for a Harry Potter superfan Giveaway! Good luck!
One lucky winner will get a fantastic Harry Potter prize pack including a Make Love Not Horcruxes shirt and Hogwarts House Tie Necklace from Rae Gun, A Geeky Pillow from Heart Felt Designs, Death Eater Stamp from Viky, A pair of Harry Potter Shoes from Hogswarts Unlimited, An Accio Book Bag and Potter Necklace from Pieces by Polly, a Mischief Managed Thought Bubble from Green Girl Art, Harry Potter Paper Dolls from Digknity and a 50$ Amazon.com gift card! Also 4 others will get a Death Eater stamp. Enter with the rafflecopter widget below.