When my kids started The Leader in Me curriculum based on the 7 Habits by Stephen Covey, the positive changes I saw astonished me. First of all, I noticed a shift in their language. “Begin with the end in mind” and “think win-win” came up a lot.
Habit 1 Be Proactive®
I asked you to join me in reading the book. Here’s why, and Habit #1 – Being Proactive.
The Leader In Me 1: Show Notes
- Tortoise and Hare video: Tortoise takes initiative to train for the race = being proactive
- The Little Engine that Could video: The Little Engine chooses to say “I Can” = being proactive
- The Dot picture book in video: Vashti goes from reactive to proactive thinking
(YouTube Reminder: check the safety mode at the very bottom of the screen to disable obnoxious comments, etc.)
- We STOP & THINK before acting.
- We choose our response to events (our behavior) instead of reacting.
Serenity Prayer by St. Francis
“God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.”
1. Finish The Leader In Me or at least get through chapter 5. You can skim.
2. Buy The 7 Habits of Happy Kids Game - I heartily endorse it! It will get you practicing the Habits.
3. Practice being proactive. You, too. Tell your kids when you notice yourself being proactive. Help them notice when they are being proactive, too.
What a great leader you are in your family- I am so proud of you!
Comment here with your thoughts about the book, the Habits, or plans for your family.