Preschoolers Learn Social-Emotional Skills In Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood

I’m so excited about Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood, a new PBS Kids show launching September 3, inspired by Mister Rogers’ Neighborhood. It focuses on age-appropriate social-emotional skills for preschoolers. And, it does it through music! (Honestly, it’s messages are good for us, too – I get the songs stuck in my head and that’s not a bad thing.)

The Next Generation

This animated four-year-old Daniel Tiger is the son of the original Daniel Tiger, the puppet. Remember King Friday? His son is Prince Wednesday. Another new character is Miss Elaina, the daughter of Lady Elaine Fairchilde and Music Man Stan. And, in tribute to Mister Rogers, Daniel is wearing a red sweater.

The opening song, “It’s Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood” includes some of the words to “It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood” as well as the same tune.

Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood creator, Angela Santomero writes, “. . . there will never be another Fred Rogers. But his legacy continues with Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood.” (She also created the show, Blue’s Clues.)

Strategy Songs

Every Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood episode focuses on a social-emotional (pro-social) skill and uses a song. Santomero says, “Encouraging children’s self-confidence, combined with the ability to regulate their impulses and appreciate adult guidance, gives them the solid foundation they need going forward.” Add to that sharing, taking turns, self-control, listening, and developing positive self-esteem, and you’ve got the vision of Daniel Tiger.

I love this episode of Daniel’s Birthday with a musical strategy of handling disappointment: “When something seems bad, turn it around and find something good!”

Every episode includes additional activities for kids and ideas for parents and teachers.

Twitter Party

Join me on Twitter this Tuesday, August 28 from 9 – 10 pm ET to talk about about the new show and the social-emotional curriculum. Go here to RSVP for the party.

Giveaway

PBS Kids is offering an Imagination Soup reader this prize pack: a Daniel Tiger luggage tag, crayons, Daniel Tiger printables, backpack and crayons, pencils, and stickers shown on the right valued at $50. Leave a comment by September 3. 2012 12 p.m. EST. (Any comment will do – maybe Mister Rogers memories? or favorite PBS Kids shows?)

By entering this sweepstakes, you agree to Imagination Soup’s official sweepstakes rules. No purchase necessary. Open to individuals in U.S. only, 18 years of age or older, void where prohibited. Winner chosen at random.

Do you think you’ll watch this show with your kids?

ALSO: EQ Board Game for Kids

Comments

1. Mrs Browns Books says

As a big fan of Mr Rogers I’m looking forward to this one. I hope that Daniel changes his cardigan from time to time just for old time’s sake! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

2. Laurie says

I LOVE Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood! I’ve read a couple of books about Fred Rogers, and he’s an amazing person. I’m glad they’re working on keeping his legacy alive. We’ll definitely be watching this!

Wow!! We just started showing our kids old Mr. Rogers eps on youtube. This type of programming is so desperately needed! The other “preschool” channels leave much to be desired. I can’t wait to watch this!

4. Liane says

I’m so excited about this show! I love the social-emotinal concepts that are embedded into it. I’m excited that there is going to be a show that helps teach empathy to our very young children. As an educator and a parent I am a huge advocate of PBS.

5. Jolie Delja says

This show looks fantastic. At home, I have a toddler and preschooler and I think they will love watching Daniel Tiger. At work, I facilitate a school readiness program for preschoolers that focuses on social and emotional development. In both of these capacities, I think the songs about taking turns and regulating impulses will be so important.

6. Kayla says

I am so excited for this show to start! My daughter loves the previews, and I love that the legacy of Fred Rogers will continue.

7. mzzterry says

I am excited for this show to start! Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was a hit with my kids (they are now grown) and I feel my toddler grandson will enjoy this program. He loves PBS shows, and I don’t have to worry about the content of them.

My daughter LOVES most PBS Kids shows but her very favorite is Dinosaur Train. She is obsessed and at 2 years old, she can say most dinosaur names correctly and knows tons of dinosaur facts.

9. Lisa Baker says

My daughter has been watching Daniel Tiger on the PBS mobile application and is simply captivated. My husband and I are both fans of Mr. Rogers and are delighted to see this creative show introducing his legacy to a new generation.

10. Jennifer says

I used to love Mr. Rogers and my boys are already on line playing Daniel Tigers Games! Our fav right now is Sid!

11. Shannon says

We can’t wait for Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood to come on! The website and the video online are both great!

12. EamonandLeia says

Both my husband and I watched Mister Roger’s Neighborhood and our 3 y.o. son already loves Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood on line. He role play’s Daniel Tiger and we are Daniel Tiger’s mom and Daniel Tiger’s dad…it’s really sweet!

13. Sonya says

When my
    daughters were growing up Mister Rogers was the only program we watched. I use
    to think I enjoyed it more than they did! The values and love in the program
    was tremendous for children, but just as much so for the adults who needed to
    hear the words, “You are special” or “I like you just the way you are.” Mister
    Rogers taught the children AND the adults, it was okay to make mistakes, and
    how much fun it is to explore and try new things. I have told friends Mister
    Rogers’ program was ‘better than church.’ Not only do I get to watch the
    original programs online with my grandchildren, now I get to share this
    wonderful new program with them too!

14. Gayle says

I am so happy to be able to share Mister Roger’s Neighborhood with my 5 year old twin boys. This show will let them have a glimpse into my childhood through modern eyes

15. Kavitha Subramaniam says

I sure will watch this with my nieces and nephews, and even by myself. I loved Mr. Rogers as a child!

I am so excited to introduce this show to my 3-year-old son! His name is also Daniel, I’m sure he’ll get a kick out of that. In addition, he of course loves tigers, music, and anything instructional! It’s a fantastic concept; giving the new generation a glimpse of the positivity and enlightenment Mr. Rogers Neighborhood provided for their parents not too many years ago.

Can’t wait to start watching Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood! My daughter watched Mr.Rogers Neighborhood loved it now she gets to enjoy seeing her son learning and enjoying this neighborhood kid show. I’m sure there’ll be adults watching too, I know I will be:) This 56yr. old grandma says Thank You PBS!!