How do you deal with stress? Because for me, I read — YA fiction. Today is a big day for me as I confess all on Babble.com in Percy Jackson is My Therapist. Will you visit my true confessions and show me some comment love?
I’m so happy to interview the talented Micol Ostow, an amazing YA author, Contemps blogger and Readergirlz Diva. You’re going to enjoy what she shares about YA fiction. If you’re not already a fan, I think she’ll convince you to give YA fiction a try.
1. As an author of fiction for all ages, what makes YA unique to write?
2. Who reads YA fiction? What are some of the reasons adults read YA fiction? (based on your experience as writer, reader, blogger)
3. Do you think YA fiction is becoming more popular with adults? And, if yes, to what do you attribute that?
4. Sometimes I think that I enjoy reading YA lit because it’s a good brain break — it’s so not Naberkov, no challenging vocabulary. What about you? Why do you like reading YA lit?
5. Can you remember a situation where you escaped into a good book to relieve stress and if so, would you share it?
Pretty much every day. Reading is my number one favorite hobby, and I’m so incredibly lucky that I’m able to read as part of my job! But if you want specifics, I really am all over the place in my tastes. Helen Fielding is genius, and I like to return to BRIDGET JONES when I’m feeling frazzled or overwhelmed. I think I read that book at least once a year. But my absolute favorite form of escapism is anything dark or scary. On a bad day, I’ll turn to Stephen King’s THE SHINING just as quickly as chick lit (if not more so). More obvious examples of stress release would include any day I’m not feeling up to my own writing, when I duck between the covers of a colleague’s work and call it “research.” Nice work if you can get it!
BIO: Micol Ostow published her first novel under a pseudonym in 2004. Since that time, she’s published over 40 works for readers of all ages, including the award-winning SO PUNK ROCK (and Other Ways to Disappoint Your Mother). Her next novel, FAMILY, will release in April 2011.
Note from Melissa: Thank you so much, Micol! Readers, isn’t she awesome? We love our YA and YA authors!